Health & Hospital Management Department
Dr. Abdur Rahman Aleemi is Assistant Professor and Research Consultant to the MHM Research Cell (MRC) at the department of Health & Hospital Management at the Institute of Business Management (IoBM), Karachi. He holds a PhD in Business Management from IoBM, and M.Phil. from IQRA University and MBA from Virtual University of Pakistan in Finance. His main research interests fall in the areas of Financial Economics, Corporate Finance, Equity Pricing, Islamic Banking & Finance, Banking Regulations, Supervision and Stability. He is also a lead researcher in the areas of banks’ Charter Value, Market Power, Franchise Value, Market Micro Structures and Market Discipline.
Dr. Aleemi possesses more than ten years of diverse experience of industry and academia. He has served both in academia and industry at different positions for various projects and responsibilities. He is an experienced researcher and consultant in the field of Islamic and Conventional Finance, Economics, Management, Operations and Health Management. He has published several research papers in HEC recognized peer reviewed journals and has also presented his research work in several national and international conferences. Last but not the least, he is also leading Capstone Projects.
- 2019, Ph.D, Business Management, Institute of Business Management.
- 2014, M.Phil.(Finance), IQRA University Karachi.
- 2011, MBA(Finance), Virtual University of Pakistan.
- 2006, B.Sc.(Bio and Chemistry), University of Malakand.
- 2008, DIT, BTE-Peshawar.
- August – 2016 till Date, Assistant Professor & Consultant MRC, CBM, Institute of Business Management.
- June – 2014 till April – 2016, Assistant Professor, Ilma University (Formerly: Institute of Business & Technology-Karachi)
- Spring – 2015 till Summer – 2016, Visiting Faculty, IQRA University, Main Campus Karachi.
- Spring -2015 till Summer -2016, Visiting Faculty, KASBIT, Main Campus Karachi.
- Fall -2015, Visiting Faculty, Federal Urdu University of Arts, Science & Technology.
- May-2010 – May-2014, Manager Finance and Operations, Sadaf Enterprises, Karachi.
Projects and Industry Engagements
- A nationwide survey on Sales Effectiveness in Pharmaceutical Industry of Pakistan. (2019)
- Occupational Allergies and Respiratory Health Problems in Spice Mill Workers.
- Pre and post nutrition care delivery in the mechanically ventilated patients of a tertiary care hospital with the implementation of feeding algorithm
- Knowledge Attitude and Oral Hygiene Practices among Street children enrolled by Street-To-School Organization in Gharib Abad Karachi.
- Business Analysis of Wateen Telecom Ltd. (A Root Cause Analysis)
- The Philosophical Dilemma of Permanence and Change (The Quest for Being and Becoming)
Advanced Research Methods, Quantitative Analysis, Multivariate Analysis, Economic Modelling, Corporate Finance, Analysis of Financial Statements, Islamic Banking & Finance, Banking Regulations.
Financial Economics, Corporate Finance, Equity Pricing, Islamic Banking & Finance, Banking Regulations and Franchise Value, Behavioral Finance, Market Micro Structures, Market Power, Market Discipline Health Economics and Advance Quantitative Modelling.
- Transformed the course Quantitative Analysis (Bio-Statistics) to be based entirely on SPSS tutorials and practical demonstration which enhanced the students’ analytical, inferential and data management abilities.
- Introduced EndNote/Zotero in Research & Survey Methodology to enhance the students’ understanding and management of their bibliographic content which will positively influence the scholarly outlook and quality of their research work.
- Introduced and emphasized on full-fledged (dummy) thesis as class projects to make sure the students are familiar with academic research and are ready for their final thesis.
Pedagogical Innovations (Fall-2019)
- Experiential Learning projects have been adopted in Advanced Topics in Finance and Advanced Corporate Finance
- Case Study method have been applied in Quantitative Analysis, Advanced Corporate Finance and Advanced Topics in Finance
- The QA in particular is now entirely based on demonstration of Use Cases and real life scenarios on SPSS (Exam is also now Lab based)
- The Advanced Topics in Finance is revamped and is now based on real case solutions and demonstration on Eviews and Stata
- Initiated the use of Stata for Use Cases in Advanced Topics in Finance for the first time (The exam is also now Lab based)
|5-8, May, 2018||Islamic Finance for Academicians||IBA-CIEF|
|2018||SSK Faculty Excellence Program||EMEC, by IoBM|
|2018||Introduction to Systematic Reviews||EMEC, by IoBM|
|2017||Scaling Up Master class||Marriot, by Terrabiz|
|28 Dec, 2019||Current Research Trends in Finance||LUMS|
- The Fallacy of Conventional Benchmarks in Islamic Banking and Finance: Defining, Defending and Discussing with Evidence from Archival Data. In: Qadri, H. M. U. D., & Bhatti, M. I. (Eds.). (2019). The Growth of Islamic Finance and Banking: Innovation, Governance and Risk Mitigation. Routledge (2019). https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/e/9780429262432/chapters/10.4324/9780429262432-8
- Issuance of Musawwamah Based Card by Islamic Banks as an Alternative to Credit Card: Opportunities, Challenges and Prospective Solutions. Routledge (2020) (In Press)
- Aleemi, A., Khalique, H., Faisail, A. (2018). Challenges and Patterns of Seeking Primary Healthcare in Slums of Karachi: A Disaster Lurking in Urban Shadows. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health (Impact Factor: 1.138) (PRJ) (AAS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/324906889_Challenges_and_Patterns_of_Seeking_Primary_Health_Care_in_Slums_of_Karachi_A_Disaster_Lurking_in_Urban_Shadows
- Aleemi, A., Uddin, I., Kashif, M. (2019). Competition and Risk Taking Behavior of Banks: New Evidence from Market Power and Capital Requirements. Pakistan Business Review, 21(3). (PRJ) (BDS) https://pbr.iobm.edu.pk/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2.pdf
- Iqbal, A., Aleemi, A., Zeeshan, M., Tariq, M. (2019). Funds Induction, Flows and Family Growth: The Dynamics of Asset Management Companies. Pakistan Business Review, 21(1). (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323747775_FUNDS_INDUCTION_FLOWS_AND_FAMILY_GROWTH_THE_DYNAMICS_OF_ASSET_MANAGEMENT_COMPANIES
- Qureshi, A., Aleemi, A. (2019). Authentic Leadership and Turnover Intention: Mediating Role of Work Engagement and Job Satisfaction in the Healthcare Sector of Pakistan. Abaysn Journal of Social Sciences, 10(1). (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331009976_Authentic_Leadership_and_Turnover_Intention_Mediating_role_of_Work_Engagement_and_Job_Satisfaction_in_the_Healthcare_Sector_of_Pakistan
- Perveen, K., Hasan, Y., Aleemi, A. (2018). Gloosophobia: The Fear of Public Speaking in Female and Male Students of University of Karachi. Pakistan Journal of Gender Studies, Vol 16. (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323747894_Glossophobia_The_Fear_Of_Public_Speaking_In_Female_And_Male_Students_Of_University_Of_Karachi
- Qurseshi, M, A., Aleemi, A., Hyder, S, I. (2019). Servant Leadership: A Taxonomic Approach Towards Systematic Literature Review. IBT-Journal of Business Studies,15(1). (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335389627_Servant_Leadership_A_Taxonomic_Approach_towards_Systematic_Literature_Review
- Aleemi, A., & Azam, M. (2017). The Integration among Financial Markets of Pakistan: New Extensions and Evidence from Bounds Testing and TYDL Granger Non-Causality Approach. Abasyn Journal of Social Sciences, 10(1). (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323747953_The_Integration_among_Financial_Markets_of_Pakistan_New_Extensions_and_Evidence_from_Bounds_Testing_and_TYDL_Granger_Non-Causality_Approach?_sg=1FOv_DWOMLBlVFt8Z7CNoJM8HOluS7sK8Q_YFW7hSt2JPaPsmVeLDxYSNR747HSuG4YGQjjwzrOJ9s7uGl_BTJ8Y0Hyg4eVWDgIVr69x.EY_5CLDUBF7njt_wdOgjyrG6_8h1OiViRdpWRk_Ai03RMFkKrNs9SugwHy5Ezky6K8R4_crAiNwl2TfyMLw8SA
- Qureshi. M., Aleemi, A., Rathore, J.H. (2018) Authentic Leadership and Job Satisfaction: Measuring the Mediating Role of Affective Organizational Commitment in Healthcare sector of Pakistan. Journal of Independent Studies and Research (JISR-MSSE), Vol 16(1). (2018). (Cases) (PRJ) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/327690631_Authentic_Leadership_and_Job_Satisfaction_Measuring_the_Mediating_Role_of_Affective_Organizationl_Commitment_in_Healthcare_Sector_of_Pakistan
- Ahmed, U, Aleemi, A, Wasim, M, Saeed, F. (2017). The Determinants of Customer Preference towards Microfinance Services: A Consumer Perspective from Pakistan. IBT-Journal of Business Studies, 13(1). (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323747769_THE_DETERMINANTS_OF_CUSTOMER_PREFERENCES_TOWARDS_MICROFINANCE_SERVICES_A_CONSUMER_PERSPECTIVE_FROM_PAKISTAN
- Aleemi, A., Tariq, M., & Ahmed, S. (2016). The Role of Gold Prices, Exchange Rate and Interest Rate on the Continuity of Inflation in Pakistan. Pakistan Business Review, 18(1), 37-54. (PRJ (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323747888_THE_ROLE_OF_GOLD_PRICES_EXCHANGE_RATE_AND_INTEREST_RAT E_ON_THE_CONTINUITY_OF_INFLATION_IN_PAKISTAN
- Dashti, J., Aleemi, A., & Tariq, M. (2016). Effects of Intellectual Capital Information Disclosure on Market Capitalization: Evidence from Pakistan. City University Research Journal, 6(1), 191-203. (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323748057_EFFECTS_OF_INTELLECTUAL_CAPITAL_INFORMATION_DISCLOSURE_ON_MARKET_CAPITALIZATION_EVIDENCE_FROM_PAKISTAN
- Khan, U., Aleemi, A., & Qureshi, M. (2016). Is Economic Value Added More Associated With Stock Price Than Accounting Earnings? Evidence from Pakistan. City University Research Journal, 6(2), 1-1. (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323747968_IS_ECONOMIC_VALUE_ADDED_MORE_ASSOCIATED_WITH_STOCK_PRICE_THAN_ACCOUNTING_EARNINGS_EVIDENCE_FROM_PAKISTAN
- Aleemi, A., & Azam, M. (2015). The Nexus of Financial Deepening, Economic Growth and Poverty: The Case of Pakistan. Business Review, 10(2), 64-79. (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323747960_The_nexus_of_financial_deepening_economic_growth_and_poverty_The_case_of_Pakistan
- Kumar, V., Aleemi, A., & Ali, A. (2015). The Determinants of Systematic Risk: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan’s Banking Sector. Global Management Journal for Academic &Corporate Studies, 5(1), 142-150. (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323747891_The_Determinants_of_Systematic_Risk_Empirical_Evidence_from_Pakistan’s_Banking_Sector
- Aleemi, A., Chaudhry, M., Qureshi, M., Tahir, H., & Anwar, R. (2015). Psychological Vulnerabilities of Internally Displaced Persons in Pakistan and its Effects on General Community. IBT Journal of Business Studies, 11(2), 01-15. (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323748076_PSYCHOLOGICAL_VULNERABILITIES_OF_INTERNALLY_DISPLACED_PERSONS_IN_PAKISTAN_AND_ITS_EFFECTS_ON_GENERAL_COMMUNITY?_sg=1FOv_DWOMLBlVFt8Z7CNoJM8HOluS7sK8Q_YFW7hSt2JPaPsmVeLDxYSNR747HSuG4YGQjjwzrOJ9s7uGl_BTJ8Y0Hyg4eVWDgIVr69x.EY_5CLDUBF7njt_wdOgjyrG6_8h1OiViRdpWRk_Ai03RMFkKrNs9SugwHy5Ezky6K8R4_crAiNwl2TfyMLw8SA
- Tariq, M., Aleemi, A., Lakhani, K., &Iqbal, A. (2015). Investigating the Role of Microfinance on Economic and Social Development: A Case Study of Rural Areas of Sind, Pakistan. IBT Journal of Business Studies, 11(2), 182-199. (PRJ) (Cases) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323748117_INVESTIGATING_THE_ROLE_OF_MICRO_FINANCE_ON_ECONOMIC_AND_SOCIAL_DEVELOPMENT_OF_PEOPLE_A_CASE_STUDY_OF_RURAL_AREAS_OF_SIND_PAKISTAN
- Aleemi, A., Tariq, M., & Ahmed, S. (2015). Foreign Direct Investment and Export Performance of Pakistan: The Cointegration and Causality approach. IBT Journal of Business Studies, 11(1), 01-11. (PRJ) (BDS)
- Tariq, M., Aleemi, A., & Ahmed, S. (2015). Exploring the Evidence on Changes in Time Varying Volatility Around Bonus and Right Issue: A Study Based on KSE. IBT Journal of Business Studies, 11(1), 67-81. (PRJ) (BDS)
- Tariq, M., Aleemi, A., Qureshi, M., & Shakri, I. (2015). Role of Microfinance Providers (MFPs) on the Economic and Social Welfare of the People in Pakistan. Journal of Business Strategies, 9(2), 33-46. (PRJ) (BDS)
- Ali, A., Aleemi, A., Tariq, M., Lakhani, K, H. (2014). Effects of Foreign Direct Investment on Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan. IBT-Journal of Business Studies 10(2). (PRJ) (BDS)
- Aleemi, A., Ahmed, S., Tariq, M. (2015). The Determinants of Savings: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan. IJMSBR 4(1). (PRJ) (BDS)
- Aleemi, A., Qureshi, M., A. (2015). Tourism Reciepts and Economic Growth: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan. International Journal of Research 2(2). (PRJ) (BDS)
Manuscripts Unpublished/Under Review
- The Saga of Development and the Quest Towards De-Development: Ethical Choices (Un-Published)
- Quantitative Easing and Competitive Devaluation: The Latest Chapter in Currency Wars
- Investigating the Mediating and Moderating Effects of Financial Herding and Patterns of Interdependence between Stock and Bond Markets.
- Sensitivity of Islamic Financing towards Monetary Policy Shocks and Real Economic Determinants: A Structural VAR and Innovation Accounting Approach
- Corporate Governance and Firm Performance: Moderating Role of Directors’ Demographic Characteristics (Under Review)
- Disciplining Islamic Banks: Evidence from Depositors’ Market Discipline (In progress)
- Financial Leverage and Its Effects on Firms’ Investment Decisions: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan’s Banking Sector. (Under Review)
- Disciplining Islamic Banks: Evidence from Depositors’ Market Discipline. (Presented at the International Conference on Islamic Banking & Finance, at IoBM-Karachi, 29-30 November, 2017).
- Sensitivity of Islamic Financing towards Monetary Policy Shocks and Real Economic Determinants: A Structural VAR and Innovation Accounting Approach. (Presented at KASBIT Research Conference, (KRC-2016), at Shiekh Zayed Islamic Center- Karachi, 21-23rd December, 2016.
- The Saga of Development and the Quest towards De-Development: Ethical Choices (Presented at International Conference on Innovations and Emerging Trends in Business Management (ICIEBM-2016), held at IQRA University, Karachi, 4-5th June-2016.
- Investigating the Mediating and Moderating Effects of Financial Herding and the Patterns of Interdependence between Stock and Bond Market: A Conceptual Framework. (Presented at 1stNational Research Conference on Business Management (NRCBM-16), held at PAF-KIET, Karachi, 6-7 March, 2016.
- The Integration among Financial Markets of Pakistan: New Extensions and Evidence from Bounds Testing and TYDL Granger Non-Causality Approach. Presented at the “International Conference on Management, Education and Social Sciences Research (ICMESSR) on 4-5 April-2015
- The Nexus between FDI and SME’s Growth: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan. Presented at the “Bahria University National Conference (BUNC-2015), on 16-17 April-2015
- Financial Leverage and its Effects on Firms’ Investment Decisions: Empirical Evidence from Pakistan’s Banking Sector. Presented at South Asian International Conference (SAICON-2015) August 19-21.
- Meritocracy in Education: A Major Cause of Social Unrest in Pakistan. Presented at South Asian International Conference (SAICON-2015) August 19-21.
- Nexus between Currency Exchange Rates and Trade Balance: A Study Based on Marshal-Lerner Framework. Presented at South Asian International Conference (SAICON-2015) August 19-21.
- The Saga of Development and the Quest towards De-Development: Is it a Choice? (Presented at 1st MUST-ICBMR 2015 at Mirpur University of Science and Technology, October 29-30.
- Investigating the Mediating and Moderating Effects of Financial Herding and the Patterns of Interdependence between Stock and Bond Market: A Conceptual Framework. (Presented at 7th National Conference on Management & Social Sciences (NACOMSS-2015), held at Institute of Business & Technology, 12th December.
- Impact of Debt Financing on Firm Performance: A Case of Business Sector of Pakistan. (Presented at 5th International Conference on Management Studies, Istanbul Turkey, held at 24th May 2019).
- Vijay Kumar (2014): Impact of Financial Leverage on Firms’ Investment Decisions: Evidence from Pakistan’s Banking Sector
- Muhammad Tariq (2014): Effects of Psychological Problems of IDPs of North Waziristan on Local Community
- Aisha Yousuf (2020): Impact of Board Gender Diversity on Firm Performance in Private Business Sector of Pakistan: Moderating Effect of Multinational Culture
- Dilshad Hasan (2020-On going): Market Power, Competition and Earnings Management: Accrual-Based Activities (A Study on Food Industry of Pakistan)
- Ayesha Hameed (2020-On going): The Causal linkages between Market power and Cost efficiency: Testing Quiet Life Hypotheses in the Case of Pakistan
- Umair Ahmed (2014): The Determinants of Customer Preferences towards Microfinance Services
- Hina Khaliqui (2016): Challenges and Barriers in Seeking Primary Healthcare Services in Slums of Karachi: A Disaster Lurking in Urban Shadows.
- Hani Zahid (2016): Parental Stress in Raising a Special Child: Evidence from Pakistan
- Nida Shahid (2016): Occupational Hazards among Healthcare Workers in Karachi.
- Urwat Ul Wusqa (2017): Risk Factors Associated with Pathological Internet Use Among University Student and the Role of Cognitive Distortion: The Case of Pakistan
- Fauzia Shafi Siddiqui (2017): Effects of Overtime on Work-Life Balance of Pharmaceutical Employees
- Uzma Mustafa (2017): Prevalence of depression and associated risk factors leading to premature birth: The case of Pakistan
- Sania Tanveer (2017): Acceptance of the Use of Wireless Body Area Network for Healthcare in Young Generation
- Yamna Hasan (2018): Occupational Allergies and Respiratory problems in Spice Mill Workers in Pakistan
- Syeda Uzma (2018): Early Child Marriages: A Silent Human Right Issue
- Sana Khan (2018): Relationship of Excessive Smartphone Usage with Sleep Quality and Musculoskeletal Pain.
- Zara Khan (2018): Emotional Intelligence and Career Decision Making Self Efficacy
- Sarah Ikram (2018): Pre and post nutrition care delivery in the mechanically ventilated patients of tertiary care hospital with the implementation of feeding algorithm.
- Salar Abbasi (2019): Relationship between Dental Knowledge of Parents and Oral Health of their Children.
- Osama Ali (2019): Knowledge and Perceptions of Biosimilars among Specialty Physicians in Pakistan.
- Farhan Usman Billoo (2019): Willingness to Pay for Micro Health Insurance Amongst the Lowest Socioeconomics Class: Development of a Micro Health Insurance Plan for Pakistan
- Shamsa Amin Hussain (2019): Relationship between Body Image, Self Esteem and Academic Behavior of Adolescent Girls in Pakistan.
- Sumayya Aizaz (2019): Willingness of Dentists to Treat Young Children
- Saadia Ishaq (2019): Socio-Economic Determinants of the Utilization of Antenatal Care and Child Vaccination in Pakistan.
- Atif Ur Rehman (2019): Attitudes towards cost-conscious care among Pakistani physicians and House Officer: A Cross Sectional Survey
- Amar Ali: A Survey of Sales Effectiveness in Pharmaceutical Industry of Pakistan: What Drives Sales Success?
- Maria Afzal (2020): Catastrophic Health Expenditure and Rural Household Impoverishment in Khyber Pakhtoon Khuwa (KPK)
- Sana Amir Ali (2020): DR GOOGLE: EXPLORING HEALTH INFORMATION SEEKING PATTERNSOF ADOLESCENTS RELATED TO HIGH RISK BEHAVIORS
- Mazeera Muhammad Aslam (2020): Bullying and its Association with Coping Mechanisms of Operating Room Employees In Tertiary Care Hospitals.
Reviewer & Editorship
Accolades & Memberships
- Board of Studies Member MHM-IoBM
- ‘Islamic Economics, Finance and Banking Research Group’ at Institute of Business Management
Institute of Business Management (IoBM)
CBM Building: Room No. 318, Institute of Business Management
Korangi Creek, Karachi Pakistan – 75190
Ext – 329