Dr Ather Akhlaq has done his PhD in eHealth (Health Informatics) from The University of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom. He is currently working in IoBM as an Assistant Professor of eHealth and Health and Hospital Management. He did his MPhil of Management (Information Systems) and also received his degree in Master of Computer Science from IoBM. Dr Ather has been awarded PhD scholarship by the Higher Education Commission Pakistan for PhD from the world’s top 50 ranked universities. Also, he won Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship for his PhD.
He has been associated with IoBM as a faculty member since 2010 and actively participated in research and administrative work. He has published many research papers in international journals with high impact factor and H-indexed value. His research interests are health information management, health information exchange, use of open source health technologies, online social media and digital commerce.
Dr Ather has participated in many international conferences and presented his work mainly in the University of Oxford and The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Before joining IoBM, he worked in Bearing Point, a multinational management and technology consultant organisation, as a senior management analyst.
- Ph.D. – eHealth (Health Information Exchange), The University of Edinburgh (2016)
- M.Phil. – Management (Digital Commerce), Institute of Business Management (2011)
- MCS – Networks and Communications, Institute of Business Management (2005)
- DIT – Diploma in Information Technology, Informatics, NCC UK certified (2001)
- B.Com. – University of Karachi (2000)
- Researcher – University of Central Lancashire, England, July – October 2016
- Teaching Assistant – The University of Edinburgh, Scotland, January – March 2016
- Researcher – The University of Edinburgh, Scotland, May – July 2014 / July – August 2015
- Senior Lecturer – Institute of Business Management, September 2013- 2016
- Lecturer – Institute of Business Management, May 2011- August 2013
- Instructor – Institute of Business Management, January 2010-2011
- Senior Management Analyst – Bearing Point US, November 2008 – June 2009
- Sales and Operations Executive – Feroze Traders, February 2004 – June 2008
- Tutor – Private, 2000 – 2016
- Review of evidence on the nature and prevalence of child abuse in Scotland, with specific reference to the abuse of children in residential and foster care.
- Market research/consultancy on Lower Back Pain digital solutions (such as mobile apps), in association with Digital Health Institute (DHI) Scotland, University of Glasgow and The University of Edinburgh.
- Systematic review for the European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI) investigating the relationship between influenza and asthma.
- Customers’ Preferences for Different Car Brands – Toyota Indus Motors (Institute of Business of Management)
- Health Management Information Systems
- Advance Qualitative Research
- Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analysis
- Capstone Research Project – I
- Capstone Research Project – II
- Internet Banking
- College Algebra
- Introduction to Statistics
- Inferential Statistics
- Catherine’s College, University of Oxford, England – “Intentions Towards Online Shopping: A Pakistan Based Study”.
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Scotland – “Health information exchange and its barriers and facilitators in low- and middle-income countries: key healthcare stakeholders’ perceptions from Pakistan”.
- Akhlaq A, McKinstry B, Sheikh A. The characteristics and capabilities of the available open source health information technologies supporting healthcare: a scoping review protocol. J Innov Health Inform. 2018;25(4):230–238.
- Akhlaq, Ather; McKinstry, Brian and Sheikh, Aziz (2015) Health information exchange and its barriers and facilitators in low- and middle-income countries: Key healthcare stakeholders’ perceptions from Pakistan. British Computer Society, Health Informatics Scotland. (AAS)
- Akhlaq, A., & Ahmed, E. (2011). Intention towards online shopping: A Pakistan based study. Paper presented at the UK Academy for Information Systems Conference Proceedings 2011. (AAS)
- Soomro, M., Akhlaq, A. (2018). Impact of cyberchondriasis on polycystic ovarian syndrome patients searching health information online. In DH’18: 2018 International Digital Health Conference, April 23- 26, 2018, Lyon, France. ACM, NY, NY, USA, 5 pages. Read
- Schwarze J, Openshaw P, Jha A, et al. Influenza burden, prevention, and treatment in asthma‐A scoping review by the EAACI Influenza in asthma task force. Allergy. 2018;73:1151–1181. (impact factor 7.36) Read
- Dhami, S., Kakourou, A., Asamoah, F., Agache, I., Lau, S., Jutel, M., . . . Sheikh, A. (2017). Allergen immunotherapy for allergic asthma: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Allergy, 72(12), 1825-1848. doi: 10.1111/all.13208 (impact factor 7.36)
- Akhklaq A, Sheikh A, Pagliari C. Health information exchange as a complex and adaptive construct: scoping review. J Innov Health Inform. 2016;23(4):633–683.
- Akhlaq A, Sheikh A, Pagliari C. Defining health information exchange: scoping review of published definitions. J Innov Health Inform. 2016;23(4): 684-764.
- Lorraine Radford, Steven Dodd, Christine Barter, Nicky Stanley and Ather Akhlaq, The abuse of children in care in Scotland: A research review. Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry, 25/01/2017, 1-126
- Akhlaq, Ather; McKinstry, Brian, Muhammad, Khalid B; Sheikh, Aziz (2016) Barriers and facilitators to health information exchange in low- and middle-income country settings: a systematic review, Health Policy and Planning fist published online May 16, 2016 doi:10.1093/heapol/czw056 (impact factor 2.368).
- Akhlaq, Ather. and Ahmed, Ejaz (2016) Gender differences among online shopping factors in Pakistan, Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies 7(1), 74-89.
- Akhlaq, Ather; Sheikh, Aziz; Pagliari, Claudia, (2015) Barriers and facilitators to health information exchange in low-and middle-income country settings: a systematic review protocol, Journalof Innovation in Health Informatics 22 (2), 284-292.
- Akhlaq, Ather and Ahmed, Ejaz, (2015) Digital commerce in emerging economies: factors associated with online shopping intentions in Pakistan, International Journal ofEmerging Markets, 10(4), 634-647.
- Akhlaq, Ather and Ahmed, Ejaz (2104) Online Shopping: A Global Perspective. Journalof Basic and Applied Scientific Research 4(5)153-160.
- Akhlaq, Ather and Ahmed, Ejaz, (2013) The Effect of Motivation on Trust in the Acceptance of Internet Banking in a Low Income Country, International Journal of BankMarketing, 31(2), 115-125.
- Akhlaq, Ather and Shah, Assadullah. (2011) Internet Banking in Pakistan: Finding Complexities. Journal of Internet Banking and Commerce, 16(1), 1-14.
- Akhlaq, Ather and Ahmed, Ejaz (2011) Intention Towards Online Shopping: A Pakistan Based Study”, UK Academy for Information Systems Conference Proceedings 2011. Paper 1. (UKAIS conference Oxford University UK. ISBN: 978-0-9560272-2-1)
- Akhlaq, Ather (2009) SWOT Analysis of the Textile Industry of Pakistan, Pakistan Textile
HONORS & AWARDS
- Higher Education Commission Pakistan PhD Scholarship
- Edinburgh Global Research PhD Scholarship
Institute of Business Management (IoBM)
Office,CBM Building: Room No. 318, Institute of Business Management
Korangi Creek, Karachi Pakistan – 75190
Ext – “433”