Dean CESD & Head of Economics Department
Professor Dr. Shahida Wizarat, Dean of College of Economics & Social Development and Head of the Department, Economics is an independent economist and has been involved in research, teaching and administration. Her areas of interest are industrial economics focusing on industrial productivity, its determinants; concentration and profitability; development economic issues; economic policies; debt and its management; natural resources, conflict and growth; political economy and governance issues. She is the author of forty-five research papers and articles published in journals of international repute in Pakistan and abroad. She has organized, attended and read papers at several international and national conferences. She earned her PhD in Economics from the University of East Anglia, Norwich, England and an MA in Economics from Vanderbilt University, USA. She has served as the Editor of the Pakistan Journal of Applied Economics and Director of the Applied Economics Research Center, University of Karachi. She has also served on the Board of Directors of the Karachi Stock Exchange. She is on advisory boards and research councils of several organizations and universities.
Ph.D. (Economics), University of East Anglia, Norwich, England, 1989.
M.A. (Economics), Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A, 1979
Present Positions: Dean CESD, HOD Economics, Institute of Business Management (IOBM).
- Member Editorial board, Journal of the the Institute of Far East – Russian Academy of Sciences
- Research Officer, Eco. Research Deptt., National Bank of Pakistan, May 1974 ‑ June 1979
- Research Economist, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE), June 1979 ‑ April 1986.
- Research Economist, Senior Research Economist and Research Professor, AERC, April 1986-July 2009.
- MS/PhD Coordinator for Social Sciences, SZABIST, 2001-02
- Member, Research Advisory Council, College of Business Management (CBM), 2003-2009.
- M Phil /MS Coordinator, IOBM, 2009-10.
- Member, Task Force on Industrial Policy, Ministry of Industry, Government of Pakistan.
- Visiting Faculty, Air War College, Pakistan Air Force (PAF), Faisal Karachi.
- Member, Scientific Committee, Research and Training Institute of East Aegean (INEAG), the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and the Department of Statistics and Actuarial-Financial Mathematics of the University of the Aegean, Samos Island, Greece.
- Expert Economist, Canadian Centre for South Asian Studies (CCSAS) at the University of Ontario.
- Director Research, IOBM, 2012 to 2018.
- Editor, Pakistan Journal of Applied Economics (PJAE), 1991-1995 and 2005-2008.
- Member Editorial Board, Journal of the Institute of Bankers in Pakistan, 1996-97.
- Associate Editor, Pakistan Business Review, IOBM Journal.
- Member, Editorial Board, Asian Economic and Financial Review (online), Asian Economic and Social Society.
- Chief Editor, Pakistan Business Review, IOBM, 2012 to 2018.
- Member, Syllabus Committee, Federal Urdu University.
- Member, Board of Advanced Studies and Research (BASR), (IOBM), 2010 – present day.
- Incharge, Graduate Programme, AERC, University of Karachi, 1995-1996.
- Developed the curriculum and taught Industrial Economics to M Phil/Ph D students, AERC 1990-2001 and 2003-2009.
- Developed the curriculum and taught Development Economics to M Phil/PhD students, AERC and business schools, 2001-2009.
- Developed the curriculum and taught International Economics to MS/Ph D Social Science and Management Science students 2001-02.
- Joint Director, Applied Economics Research Centre (AERC), University of Karachi, 1995.
- Director, Applied Economics Research Centre (AERC), University of Karachi, 1993 and 1995-96 and 2004-06.
- Director, Karachi Stock Exchanges, 1998.
- Member, Consumer Rights Council, CPLC, Governor House, Karachi, 2005.
- Member, Pakistan Telecom Authority-Regional Advisory Committee, 2001-2006.
- Member, Public Affairs Committee, Islamic Mission Hospital (now Indus Hospital), 1998-2005.
- Attended a workshop on technology information services organized by the National Center for Technology Transfer, Islamabad and the Asian and Pacific Center for Transfer of Technology. February 7‑10, 1987.
- Read a paper on prospects of trade between ECO countries at the Asian Regional Cooperation Conference, November 1992, at Islamabad.
- Guest Speaker at the National Institute of Public Administration (NIPA), Karachi; Custom House, Karachi; Rotary Clubs in Pakistan and the US.
- Organized a Conference on `Economic Reforms and The Role of the Government.’ Invited Pakistani and German economic experts to deliberate upon the impact of World Bank and IMF policies on the economies of developing countries, particularly Pakistan. The Conference was held between 18th – 20th November 1993 at the Sheraton Hotel Karachi. Papers read at the conference were later edited and published in the papers and proceedings issue of the Pakistan Journal of Applied Economics (PJAE).
- Organized a Conference on `The Socio-Economic and Political Consequences of World Bank and IMF Policies’. Invited economic experts of international repute from England, Germany, Austria, Australia and Pakistan to focus upon the economic, social and political consequences of developing economies, particularly Pakistan. The conference was held between 22 – 24 September 1994 at the Sheraton Hotel, Karachi.
- Development of Economic Integration Among the SAARC Countries, paper read at the seminar organized by the SAARC Chamber in Islamabad on 24-25 September, 1995.
- Read a paper on The Impact of World Bank-IMF Policies on the Political Structure in Pakistan at a conference on Labour, Human Rights and Globalization held in Melbourne, Australia, 6-8 December, 1996.
- The Impact of Foreign Borrowing on our Political Structure, Paper read at the Eminent Persons Group (EPG) Seminar and published in their papers and proceedings and later in the Business Recorder, 31 December, 1996.
- Debt Management Strategy for Pakistan, Paper read at the Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICAP) and Institute of Cost and Management Accountants (ICMA) Post Budget Seminars and later published in the Dawn, 9 June, 1997.
- The Politics of Economic Policies, Paper read at the seminar organized by the Area Study Centre for Europe, University of Karachi, in collaboration with the Hans Seidel Foundation, October 1997.
- Guest Speaker at the Pakistan Navy Staff College, Karachi.
- Guest Speaker at the Air War College, PAF, Karachi. Have been guiding research projects of PAF officers
- Guest Speaker at the National Defense College (NDC), Islamabad.
- Guest Speaker at the Command and Staff College, Quetta
- SAARC conference on Peace and Democracy organized by PILER and SAAPE, Kathmandu, July 2006.
- ADB Board of Governor’s meeting at Kyoto, Japan, 3-7 May 2007.
- Attended conference on the weather, organized by NUST, Islamabad.
- Financial Reforms and Industrial Sector Growth: Bound Testing Analysis of Pakistan Economy, with Qazi Adnan Hye, read at the International Conference of Applied Financial Economics, 01-3rd July 2010, organized by Research and Training Institute of East Aegean (INEAG), the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and the Department of Statistics and Actuarial-Financial Mathematics of University of the Aegean, Samos Island, Greece.
- Organized an international conference on “Floods 2010: Causes, Effects, Relief and Rehabilitation”, IOBM, 20 April
- Impact of Financial Reforms on Growth: Bound Testing Analysis of Pakistan Economy, with Qazi Adnan Hye, read at the International Conference of Applied Financial Economics, 01-3rd July 2011, organized by Research and Training Institute of East Aegean (INEAG), the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and the Department of Statistics and Actuarial-Financial Mathematics of University of the Aegean, Samos Island, Greece.
- Trade-Led Growth, with Qazi Adnan Hye, read at the International Conference of Applied Financial Economics, 28-30 June 2012, organized by Research and Training Institute of East Aegean (INEAG), the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and the Department of Statistics and Actuarial-Financial Mathematics of University of the Aegean, Samos Island, Greece.
- Conceived the idea and organized an international conference on “Stabilizing South Asia” on 18-19 December 2012 at Karachi, Pakistan.
- Awarded the best paper award on my paper: Natural Resources, Conflict and Growth: Uncovering the Transmission Mechanism, Diponegoro, Indonesia, July 2013.
- Chaired sessions in the International Conference on “Emerging Challenges and Modern Trends in Social Sciences” held at Barra Gali, Abbottabad, organized by the Institute of Economics, Social & Development Studies, University of Swat, 6-7 August 2014.
- Presented the Keynote Address on “The Growing Thrust of Challenges on Third World Countries: Our Individual and Collective Response”, at the International Conference on Business Strategy and Social Sciences 16- 17 August, 2014, Pearl International Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Presented Keynote Address on “Natural Resources, Conflict and Growth: Uncovering the Transmission Mechanism”, BUITEMS International Conference, Quetta, 8-9 October 2015.
- Participated in the Shanghai Cooperation Council (SCO) conference on the the role of civil society, Sochi, Russian Federation, 19-20 April 2016.
- Participated in seminars and workshops on cultural exchange between Pakistan and China, October 2016
- Convenor of the international conference on State of the Pakistan Economy: Issues and Challenges for the 21 Century, 27-28 September 2016, IOBM, Karachi, Pakistan
- Presented the keynote address on “The State of Pakistan’s Economy: An Action Plan for Sustainable Economic Development Plan for Pakistan” at the international conference on State of the Pakistan Economy: Issues and Challenges for the 21 Century, 27-28 September 2016, IOBM, Karachi, Pakistan.
- Lecture on Challenges facing the third world countries and our response at the Institute of Policy Studies, Islamabad and Quaid e Azam University, Islamabad, 14 and 17 February 2017 respectively.
- Lecture on Food Security at the International Islamic University, Islamabad, 15 February 2017.
- Lecture on Corruption and our socio political structure at Bahria University, Islamabad, 16 February 2017.
- Lecture on Corruption: Its Origin and Consequences, NAB, May 2017.
- Military Expenditure and Debt in South Asia: A Panel Co-integration Approach, co authored with Dr Shujaat Abbas, presented at the 14th International Conference in Economic Theory and Policy organized by Cambridge University and University of the Basque Country, 29-30 June 2017 at Bilbao, Spain.
- Made a Presentation on Pakistan’s Economy with special reference to CPEC at the Institute of Oriental Studies, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow 27- 28 September 2017.
- Gave a seminar on Pakistan’s Economy at the Russian State University for Humanities, Moscow, 29 September 2017.
- Gave a seminar on Pakistan China Economic Corridor (CPEC) at Moscow State University, Moscow, 5 October 2017.
- Gave a talk on issues of interest to students and faculty at the Institute of Foreign Affairs, Moscow, 6 October 2017.
- Read a paper on “Crisis Management of Pakistan’s Balance of Payments” at Failure of Economic Policies and Managers Seminar organised by the Economics department, CESD, IOBM 18 December 2017.
- Read a paper on ” Threats and Challenges to Pak-Russian Relations”, seminar organised by Pakistan House, Islamabad, 6 February 2018.
- Read a paper on “Economic Potential and Challenges Facing the SCO Region” at the SCO Conference, Sochi, Russia, 17-18 April 2018.
- Read a paper on “Influence of Foreign Economic Interests and Pakistani Media”, seminar organised by Pakistan House, Islamabad, 22 April 2019.
- Supervised Independent Studies (IS) of about 24 Social Science and Management Science students.
- Supervised research reports of ten business administration students.
- Supervision of M. Phil / MAS theses:
Ten students have completed M. Phil theses.
Two students are currently doing their M Phil theses under my supervision.
- Supervision of Ph. D theses:
Three students have successfully completed their PhD theses.
Currently supervising four Ph D students.
- Supervision of Air War Students theses:
- Supervised the theses of six students of the no 22, Air War Course at the Air War College, Pakistan Air Force (PAF), Faisal, Karachi.
- Supervised the theses of six students of the no 23 Air War Course at the Air War College, Pakistan Air Force (PAF), Faisal, Karachi.
- Supervised the theses of six students of the no 24 Air War Course at the Air War College, Pakistan Air Force (PAF), Faisal, Karachi.
- Supervised theses of six students of the no 25 Air War Course at the Air War College, Pakistan Air Force (PAF), Faisal, Karachi.
Sole Authored Books
- The Rise and Fall of Industrial Productivity in Pakistan’ Oxford University Press (OUP), Karachi: 2002.
- Fighting Dependence: Proclaiming Sovereignty for An Enslaved Pakistan, Lambert Academic Publishing,Germany,July 2010
- Fighting Imperialism: Liberating Pakistan, Centre for Research and Statistics (CRS), Karachi: May 2011.
Chapters in Books:
- Economic Perspective in Karachi: Mega city of Our Times (ed Hameeda Khuhro and Anwar Mooraj), Oxford University Press, Karachi, 1997 and 2007.
- Economic Integration Among the ECO Countries: Prospects and the Challenges Ahead. Paper read at the Conference on Asian Regional Cooperation, November 1992 and printed in Pakistan, Central Asia and the Region: Prospects of Regional Cooperation (ed. Dr. S.M. Haider) Progressive Publishers, Lahore, 1994.
Publications in Journals:
- Saudi Arabia: An Overview of the Economy, The Pakistan Horizon.
- Technological Change in Pakistan’s Agriculture, Pakistan Development Review, Vol.XX, No.4, Winter 1981.
- Sources of Growth in Pakistan’s Large‑Scale Manufacturing Sector. Pakistan Economic and Social Review, No.2, Winter 1989.
- Simultaneous Estimation of Production Function and Beneficiaries of Growth for a Developing Economy. Pakistan Journal of Applied Economics, Vol.VII, No. I, 1988.
- Inter‑Industry Productivity Differentials in Pakistan’s Large‑Scale Manufac. Sector, 1970‑1980, Singapore Economic Review, October 1988.
- Misspecification in the Source of Growth Analysis: The Contribution of the Capital Input in Pakistan, Industry and Development No.28, UNIDO.
- On Profitability and Industrial Concentration in Pakistan, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization,University of Southern California, Los Angeles, 17, 1992.
- Productivity trends in Pakistan’s Manufacturing, Pakistan Journal of Applied Economics, Vol. VII, No.2, 1988.
- Industrial Concentration in Pakistan’s Manufacturing: Its Origin and Determinants, Singapore Economic Review, Vol. XXXVII, No 2, October 1992.
- Economic Integration Among the ECO Countries: Prospects and the Challenges Ahead. Paper read at the Conference on Asian Regional Cooperation, November 1992 and printed in the Iranian Journal of International Affairs, Vol. V, No.1, Spring 1993.
- Intra-Sectoral Productivity Differential: The Large-Scale vs. The Small-Scale Sector in Pakistan, Pakistan Journal of Applied Economics (PJAE), Vol.IX, No.2, 1990.
- Fifty-Years of Pakistan: Impediments to Economic Development, Paper read at the Friends Seminar, 30 August, 1997 and published in the Friends Perspective, Vol V, No. 1-2, September-October 1997.
- Paying Debt Through Loot, Pakistan Business Review, Vol. 2, No 3, October 2000.
- An Alternative External Debt Management Strategy, Pakistan Business Review, Vol. 3, No 1, April 2001.
- Industrial Concentration and Economic Power in Pakistan: A Study of the Firms Quoted on the Karachi Stock Exchange, Pakistan Business Review, College of Business Management, April 2003, Karachi.
- Some Challenges to National Security in the 1990s and Beyond, Margalla Papers, National Defense College, Islamabad,
- Major Determinants of Export Growth in Pakistan: 1998-2004, with Khurram Ifitkhar and Kamran Abbas, Pakistan Business Review, CBM, Institute of Business Management (IOBM), July 2009.
- Export Productivity Nexus, Pakistan Business Review, with Khurram Ifitkhar and Kamran Abbas, April 2010.
- Impact of Financial Liberalization on Agricultural Growth: A Case Study of Pakistan, with Qazi Adnan Hye, “China Agricultural Economic Review”, Vol. 3, no: 2,Emerald (UK), 2011.
- Financial reforms and industrial sector growth: Bound testing analysis for Pakistan, with Qazi Adnan Hye, Versita Publications, Warsaw, South East European Journal of Economics and Business,November 2010.
- Financial reforms and service sector growth: Bound testing analysis for Pakistan, with Qazi Adnan Hye, The IUP Applied Finance, IUP Publications, India, Vol. 17, no 2, April 2011.
- Cost and Productivity Experience of Pakistan with Aggregate Learning Curve with Jamshaid ur Rahman, published in the International Journal of Human and Social Sciences, vol. 5, no 5, Spring 2010.
- Impact of Financial Liberalization on Economic Growth; A Case Study of Pakistan, with Qazi Adnan Hye, Asian Economic and Financial Review (AEFR), Asian Economic and Social Society (AESS), Vol 2, No3, February 2013
- Trade-led growth hypothesis: An empirical analysis of South Asian countries withQazi Muhammad Adnan Hye and Yeap Lau, Economic Modeling, 2014.
- Natural Resources, Conflict and Growth Nexus, Asian Economic and Financial Review (AEFR), Asian Economic and Social Society (AESS), Vol 3, No 8, August 2013.
- Are Resource Abundant Countries Afflicted by the Resource Curse, International Journal of Development and Conflict, 3(2), 2013, Australia.
- Natural Resources, Conflict and Growth: Uncovering the Transmission Mechanism, Asian Economic and Financial Review (AEFR), Asian Economic and Social Society (AESS), Vol. 4, No 8, 2014.
- An Investigation of Nature and Causes of Inflation in Pakistan, with Ehsan Sheikh, and Amir Hussain Siddiqui, Journal of Emerging Trends in Economics, Banking and Finance (JEIEFB), 3(05), 12, 2014.
- SAFTA: A Stumbling Block, with Amir Hussain Siddiqui and Ehsan Sheikh, Journal of Contemporary Issues in Economics, 3(6), January 2015.
- Decomposition of Pakistan’s Export Growth to APEC Markets, Open Journal of Business Management, July 2015, Impact Factor: 0.09.
- Constant Market Share Analysis for Exports of Pakistan: Case of Developed Market Economies, International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, April 2015, Impact Factor: 3.2.
- “The State of Pakistan’s Economy: An Action Plan for Sustainable Economic Development Plan for Pakistan” at the international conference on State of the Pakistan Economy: Issues and Challenges for the 21 Century, PBR, special issue 2016.
- Long Term Relationship between Stock Market Development and Economic Growth in South Asia: With Panel Data & ARDL Model” coauthored with Zia Ullah, Pakistan Business Review (X) Volume 18 (3) : 2016.
- Military Expenditure and External Debt in South Asia: A Panel Data Analysis, coauthored with Shujaat Abbas, Peace Economics, Peace Science and Public Policy, 2018, 24(3): https://doi.org/10.1515/peps-2017-0045
- Arms Trade and Economic Growth Nexus in the Post 9/11 Scenario
- co-authored with Muhammad Zubair, : International Journal of Development and Conflict, December, 2018 (indexed in Scopus, Econ Lit and RePec. (Two year IF in the year 2015 is 0.29)
- Steve H. Hanke (editor), Privatization and Development, International Centre for Economic Growth, California, 1987. Published in the Pakistan Journal of Applied Economics, Vol VIII, No 1, 1989.
- Victor J. Elias, Sources of Growth: A Study of Seven Latin American Economies, The Fundacion del Tucuman and International Centre for Economic Growth, an Francisco, California, 1992. Published in the Pakistan Journal of Applied Economics, Vol IX, No 1, 1990.
- A. Meenai. Revised and expanded by J.A. Ansari, Money and Banking in Pakistan, Oxford University Press, Karachi. Published in Dawn Book Reviews.
Research Reports :
- Pakistan’s Trade Relations with Eastern Europe, Research Report, Research Wing N.B.P.
- Trade Problems of Developing Countries, Research Wing, NBP. Also in Business Recorder.
- The Problem of Un‑Employment, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Research Wing, NBP.
- Japan Today, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Research Wing, NBP.
- Performance of the Nationalized Banks. Paper written for the Pakistan Banking Council.
- Technical Change and the Aggregate Production Function for Pakistan’s Agriculture, Research Report, PIDE.
- Factors Eroding the Competitiveness of Pakistani Industries, AERC, 2009.
- “Crisis Management of Pakistan’s Balance of Payments”, Discussion Paper 2017.1, Economics Department, IOBM.
- Newspaper Articles:
- The Development Policy Debate, Dawn 17 and 18 February, 1996.
- Good-bye caretakers? The News, 16 March, 1997.
- Conflict between interests of country and technocrats; where is the dividing line? The News 6,April, 1997.
- A Case for ‘Partners in Development’, Dawn 17 July 1997.
- Meeting Economic Warfare Challenge, Dawn, 8 April, 1998.
- Bypassing the IMF, Dawn, 12 April 2001
- Points on Economic Policy Formulation, Dawn, 19 November, 1999.
- Debt Crisis and its Management, Dawn, 20 August 2000.
- Not the Right Strategy to Manage Debt, Dawn, 18 June, 2001.
- A Blue Print for a Change, Dawn, 20 February, 1999.
- Crisis Management of the Economy, Dawn, 27 October, 1999.
- ‘Where is Bush taking the World’, Dawn, December 2001
- The Pervasive State of Decline, Dawn, March 2004.
- ‘Averseness to Peace’, The Nation, 27 March 2008.
- ‘Challenges to National Economy: Policy Guidelines Needed’ I & II, Business Recorder, 18 & 19 April, 2008.
- ‘Why IMF is not an option’, Daily Dawn, 26 August 2008.
- ‘United States: Friend or Foe?’, The Nation, 2 September 2008.
- Facing tough challenges, The Nation, 5 November 2008.
- Neo-liberal Policies Caused the Financial Crisis ? Dawn, EBR, 30 March – 6 April 2009.
- “War Against Terror” or the New World Order, The Frontier Post, 4 March 2010.
- Weather: A Weapon of Mass Destruction (WMD)? The Nation, 26 October 2010.
- A Catastrophe in the Making, The Frontier Post, 3 November 2010.
- Pakistani Orphans, The Frontier Post, 20 November 2010.
- The Way Forward, The Frontier Post, 2012.
- Strategy for Peace, Frontier Post, 2011.
- Pakistan’s Economic Managers and the IMF, Frontier Post, 2013.
- Food Security: GM or Organic Way? Business Recorder, 2010 and www.crestat.org
- Guidelines on the Privatization of Strategic Pakistani Assets, Business Recorder, 2013 and crestat.org
- Energy Security, crestat.org and Energy Update.
- Asia: The Next Economic Giant? Business Recorder, 2011 and crestat.org
- Criminal Exploitation of Balochistan, Daily Times, 7 and 8 November 2015 and Balochistan Times.
- Making Pakistan Food Secure, Energy Update, October 2015.
- An Alternative to the IMF, Hilal, June 2018
- Food Security and Bioediting, CONSUL, Islamabad, August 2019
- Why Kashmir Does Not Interest the Rich and the Powerful ? CONSUL, Islamabad, September, 2019
- Resolution of Jammu & Kashmir conflict-The way forward, consul, October 2019
Technical Skills and Abilities:
Developed the curriculum and taught Analysis of Pakistani Industries (API) to Business Administration students 2001- 2003.
Developed the curriculum and teaching Seminar in Economic Policy to MBA Executive students, IOBM, 2009-present.
- Chairperson, Pakistan Society for the Study of Self Reliance.
- Member, Literati Network, Emerald (Publishers).
- HEC approved PhD thesis supervisor.
- Board of Studies
- Disciplinary committee
- Academic Council
- Finance & planning committee
- President, Rotary Club Karachi East 2019-20
- President, Independent economist and policy practitioners
Institute of Business Management (IoBM)
Office,Room 222 Academics Blocks, Institute of Business Management
Korangi Creek, Karachi Pakistan – 75190
Ext – “701 ”