Dr. Shahid Amjad has a PhD from School of Ocean Sciences, University of Wales, UK. His MS is from the University of Oslo Norway in Benthic Ecology. He has completed courses in Management of R&D Institutes from University of New South Wales, Australia. He has been associated with the National Institute of Oceanography as Director General and with various top universities of Pakistan as Acting Vice Chancellor and Professor. He has also been associated as a visiting faculty with NED and the University of Karachi since 2005.
- 1987 – 1990 PhD Marine Environment School of Ocean Sciences University of Wales UK.
- 1976 – 1982 MS Benthic Ecosystems. University of Oslo. Norway.
- 1971 – 1973 M.Sc Marine Sciences CEMB University of Karachi
- Visiting Faculty NED Coastal Management and Environment.
- Dean, Faculty of Marine Science. Lasbela University, Balochistan.
- Director General. National Institute of Oceanography. (MoST) Karachi.
- Principal Scientific Officer. National Institute of Oceanography Karachi.
- Research Scholar, University of Oslo Norway.
- Assistant Biologist Marine Fisheries Department Karachi.
- Represented Pakistan for 5 years as an elected member of the UN International Seabed Authority. Jamaica.
- Participated in Pakistan’s 2nd Scientific Expedition to Antarctic.
- Participated in numerous international Conferences, Seminars.
- Engro Vopak, EETL. HSE. PQA
- Pakistan Industrial Bulk Terminal (PIBT).
- Hagler Bailly, Islamabad.
- National Institute of Oceanography (NIO) Pakistan.
- World Wildlife Fund for Nature (WWF)
- International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
- EMC (Pvt) Limited Pakistan.
- Global Environmental Management Systems (GEMS).
- SUPARCO/Institute of Space Science, (IST). Karachi
- SAARC Coastal Zone Management Centre Malé, Maldives.
- Environmental Issues and Management.
- Terrestrial Environment.
- Marine Environment.
- Coastal ecosystems.
- Benthic ecosystems
- Offshore ecosystems
- Mangrove ecosystem.
- Freshwater ecosystems.
- Climate Change assessments
- Biodiversity Assessments.
- Waste Management.
- Conservation and Management of Biological Resources.
- Fisheries Oceanography.
- Pollution Control and Management.
- Environmental Social Impact Assessment.
- Trade and Environment
- Environmental Impact Assessment Studies for the development of a coastal jetty in Port Qasim and in Balochistan for Hagler Bailly 2015.
- Environmental Baseline Studies For (EIA) Reko Diq Copper Mining Operations Gwadar Port. 2015
- Baseline studies for Environmental assessment of LNG carriers and FSRU facilities and its impact on PQA port channel, with EMC consultants 2015
- Undertook IEE for Niko Resourses Ltd. (Canadian firm) for offshore hydrocarbon exploration.
- Environmental Impact Assessment for the development of a coastal jetty in Port Qasim and in Balochistan for Hagler Bailly. 2015
- Conducted environmental impact assessments for Environmental Management Consultants (EMC) on new and on-going projects related to Energy imports in Pakistan. 2016
- Conducted ESIA for Engro Vopak for setting up of LNG terminal in Coastal zone of PQA. 2017
- Participated in the Marine Ecological Assessment for Rakgas, Ras al Khaima (UAE) as an Marine ecological expert with GEMS, 2017
- Participated in the baseline study of Environmental Impact Assessment for LNG Gasport Study sponsored by Environmental Management Consultants (EMC), Pakistan. 2016
- Environmental Impacts of Coal Fired Power Plants in Balochistan and Sindh. 2017
- Regular Ecological Monitoring of impacts for Engro Vopak, EETL. PQA. 2018
- Monitoring of Ecological Assessments for Pakistan Industrial Bulk Terminal (PIBT).2018
- Ecological Assessment studies of Mangroves Ecosystem in PQA a Project sponsored by IUCN. 2016
- IUCN funded project on Evaluation of mangroves in PQA: An econometric Approach. 2016
- Water Management and Conservation in IoBM A Proposal approved by The Education Watch Pakistan – Save Water Save Life Grant (swslg.org) 2018
- Shahid Amjad, Syed Nadeem Arif and Saquib Ejaz Hussain 2018. Recolonization of Disturbed Marine Benthic Communities in the Mangrove Ecosystem. Abstract. J. Oceanogr. Mar Res 2018, vol. 6 DOI: 4172/2572-3103-C1-005
- Shahid Amjad and Nuzhat Khan 2018 Coral Community: Preliminary Biodiversity Survey of Churna Island, Balochistan (abstract submitted) 1st International Conference on Marine Sciences “Marine Biodiversity and conservation (MBC)” in Pakistan is being organized by Lasbela University of Agriculture, Water and Marine Sciences, on 21-22 November, 2018, at the Lasbela University, Uthal, Balochistan.
- Shahid Amjad and Muhammad Moinuddin A Khan 2018 Management Education- Environment, Green Logistics and Climate Change Sharing Best Practices of Institute of Business Management (IoBM) (abstract) 3rd. International Conference on Experiential Learning with Industry Practices. Organized by The Institute of Business Management. 20-21 September 2018.
- Shahid Amjad. 2018. An Integrated Approach to Management of Coastal Resources: A Case Study. International Seminar on Sustainable Coastal and marine development in Pakistan 7 Feb 2018. Lasbela University Balochistan.
- Shahid Amjad 2017 Impact of Climate Variability on Pakistan’s Coastal Fishery. Paper presented at the 8th International Conference on Fisheries & Aquaculture 02-04, October 2017 in Toronto Canada.
- Muhammad Imran Majid, Rabia Hassan Shahid Amjad, 2017. Quantifying Urban Karachi’s Air Quality Effect on Human Health and Policy Recommendations Pakistan Journal of Engineering Technology and Science (PJETS) Volume 7, No 2, December 2017.
- Shahid Amjad 2017. Valuation of Coastal Ecosystem: An Econometric Approach. Paper Presented on in the 7th International maritime Conference (IMC-2017) organized by National Policy Research (NCMPR) Bahria University 11-12 Feb 2017. Proceedings in press.
- Shahid Amjad, Muhammad Ajaz Rasheed, Mirza Aqeel Baig 2016. Mangrove Ecosystem Services: Indus Delta (PQA), Sindh Journal of Geoscience and Environmental protection Vol. 4, No 7. DOI: 10.4236/gep.2016.47020
- Shahid Amjad, M. Ajaz Rasheed, Mirza Aqeel Baig 2016.Valuation of Mangroves in PQA Indus Delta: An Econometric Approach Research Report, MFF/IUCN and Institute of Business Management (IoBM). Karachi.
- Shahid Amjad 2015 Maritime Economic Cooperation: Hydrocarbons, Fisheries and Minerals IPRI-HSF International Conference on “Major Powers’ Interests in Indian Ocean: Challenges and Options for Pakistan”. Islamabad Policy Research Institute, Hanns Seidel Foundation (HSF),
- Shahid Amjad. 2015 Harnessing the Potential of Ocean Energy Pakistan International Conference ICEEES 2015 IoBM. Conf. Proc 2015
- Shahid Amjad and Syed Irfan Hyder 2015 Conference Proceedings on Entrepreneurial Engineering Opportunities In Renewable Energy For Self-Sufficiency College of Engineering Sciences, Institute of Business Management (IoBM) Karachi
- Amjad, S. 2014 Adequacy of National Laws for Coastal Zone Management and Ocean Governance. Paper presented in the National conference NCMPR Bahria University 2014.(in press)
- Mirza Asjad and Shahid Amjad 2014 Global Climate Change and Fruit Crops Production. International Journal on Climate Change: Impacts and Responses.
- Amjad, S. 2014 Introduction to Biofouling : a Sticky Problem. SAARC workshop on Bioinvasion and Ballast water Management (Proceeding of the Workshop) Karachi 25-27 August 2014
- Mirza A Baig and Shahid Amjad 2014 Climate Change Impact on Major Crops Of Pakistan: A Forecast For 2020. Pakistan Business Review (PBR) IoBM Vol.15 No 4 pp 600-617.Pakistan.
- Amjad, S. 2014 Adequacy of National Laws for Coastal Zone Management and Ocean Governance. Paper presented in the National conference NCMPR Bahria University 2014.
- Mirza Asjad and Shahid Amjad 2014 Global Climate Change and Fruit Crops Production. International Journal on Climate Change: Impacts and Responses. C130182 CGPublisher. November 6, 2014
- Amjad, S. 2013 Introduction to Climate Change in workshop on SAARC on Impact of Climate Change Variability on Coastal Resources. Workshop Proceedings on Climate Change Impacts on Coastal and Aquatic Resources in SAARC Member Countries Karachi 26-28 Dec 2013.
- Amjad, S., 2013. Global Warming: Forecast for Coastal Fishery Resources of Pakistan published in the proceedings of the 5thInternational Conference on Environmentally Sustainable Development (ESDev-2013).COMSATS.
- Mirza Asjad Baig, and Shahid Amjad. Climate Change Impact on Major Crops of Pakistan: A Forecast for 2020. Pakistan Business Review (PBR) IoBM 2013.
- Amjad,.S., Ocean Resources and Diversity: Pakistan presented in the 12th Training Workshop on Conservation of Biodiversity and Ecosystem of Pakistan. Organized by the IUCN Commission on Ecosystem Management. The Scientific and Cultural Society of Pakistan In collaboration with Department of Zoology, University of Karachi Sept 12‐ 18, 2013.
- Amjad, S., 2013 Global Warming: Forecast for Coastal Fishery Resources of Pakistan. Paper submitted and accepted in the Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Environmentally Sustainable Development ESDev August 2013
- Samina Kidwai, Mohsin Tabrez, Naeem Ahmed and Shahid Amjad 2013. Spatial and temporal variability in the zooplankton productivity and community structure in the tide dominated creeks of the River Indus delta, North Arabian Sea (MS submitted. ID 9007264171117903 in Zoological Studies Springer for International publication)
- Amjad, S., and Moinuddin Ali Khan. 2012 Energy Imports (LNG) and Coastal Ecological Impacts. Proceeding of 2nd Intl’ Conf. Energy, Environment & Sustainable Development Mehran University Engineering Technology, Jamshoro.
- Amjad. S, and Moin uddin Ali Khan 2011 Marine Ecological Assessment for LNG Terminal at Port Qasim. Pak. J. Engr.Technol.Sci vol. 1.No.2 pp 74-85
PARTICIPATION in CONFERENCES
Dr. Shahid Amjad Presented a paper on Valuation of Coastal Ecosystem: An Econometric Approach in the 7th International maritime Conference (IMC-2017) organized by National Policy Research (NCMPR) Bahria University 11-12 Feb 2017.
- Expertise in teaching Environmental Impact Assessment/risk analysis (EIA/ IEE/SEA Climate Change etc) at Masters level.
- Member Experts Committee SEPA Sindh.
- Member Standing Committee on Environment FPCCI Karachi.
- Undertaken Environmental consultancy services in PQA and other industrial areas for national and multinational organizations.
- Member of National Curriculum Environmental Sciences Committee of HEC.
- Member (ex officio) BoG Global Change Impact Studies Centre. Islamabad
- Conducted training programs and workshops on Climate Change Impacts, EIA and Marine Environment and Ecosystems.
- Use modeling techniques for delineating Air Pollution parameter to develop contours using Surfer Software.
- Good working knowledge of SPSS software.
- Expertise in planning and undertaking field surveys.
- Cruise Leader Participated in numerous National and International Oceanographic Cruises to study oceanographic parameters and fishery resources and issues related to coastal zone management.
- Expertise in use of scientific equipments used in the field surveys and scientific research Labs
- Undertaken Courses on Resource Management and Management of R&D Institutes (UNSW) Australia.
- Over 30 research publications in scientific journals of repute.
- Actively participate in Students activities.
- Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FPCCI) Standing Committee on Environment.
- Serving as a Member of Experts Committee Sindh Environmental Protection Agency.
- Guest Speaker at LEAD
- Guest Speaker at LEJ, IST (SUPARCO).
HONORS & AWARDS
- WWF- P The Living Plannet Award 2008
- Prof. Dr.Nasima Tirmizi Gold Medal in Marine Sciences 2009.
- Represented Pakistan at conferences both national and international.
- Regularly invited as guest speaker at various forums and prestigious institutions.
2. Member, Experts Committee Sindh Environmental Protection Agency.
3. Technical Expert, Board of Governors Global Change Impact Studies Centre.Islamabad.
4. Chair, Board of Studies Environment and Energy Management IoBM.
5. Member, Academic Council, IoBM
6. Member BASR, IoBM.
Institute of Business Management (IoBM)
Room: Room# A 110 SSKEC, Institute of Business Management
Korangi Creek, Karachi Pakistan – 75190
Ext – 741